These light and fluffy Lemon Blueberry Scones are the perfect addition to any brunch, coffee date or any day of the week!! They are even better slathered with some Wild Blueberry Jam!!
- 2 1/4 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 6 TBSP white granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Cup wild blueberries
- 1 Stick butter, grated and frozen
- 3/4 Cup buttermilk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 egg
- 2 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Grate 1 stick butter on a box grated, add to a small dish and put in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, add the buttermilk, lemon juice, vanilla and egg. Give everything a whisk and set aside.
- Once the butter is frozen, add to the flour mixture and give everything a mix with either a pastry blender or two forks until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the blueberries to the flour mixture and give it a quick mix so the blueberries are coated in the flour.
- Drizzle the buttermilk mixture over the flour mixture and gently fold everything together until just combined. Be careful not to crush the berries too much.
- Dump everything onto a lightly floured surface and fold the dough over itself a few times until you achieve an 8inch disk. Scone dough is very delicate, you don’t want to over kneed it, it won’t be as light and fluffy.
- With a sharp knife, slice the sones into 6 wedges. Carefully transfer the scones to the baking sheet, brush the tops with either egg wash (egg and water) or cream, sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes until golden brown.
- Let them cool a few minutes on the pan then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Serve when still warm with some wild blueberry jam.
*Mine took 17 minutes to bake.
**Best served fresh the same day!! If you do have left overs, re-heat them in the oven a few minutes before serving so the crust becomes crunchy again.
Keywords: blueberry, lemon, scones, lemon bluberry scones