This healthier version of the classic Taco Salad is lower in calories but definitely not in taste! Homemade dressing, homemade chips and all the deliciousness you want in a taco! Add some guacamole, salsa, cilantro, slice jalapenos and you have yourself a Mexican fiesta!
The Baked Tortilla Chips:
- 3-4 Tortillas* (1 per person)
- Olive oil spray or EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Spice blend: 1 Tsp garlic powder + 1 Tsp smoked paprika + 1 Tsp ground Cumin (makes 4 tortillas)
- Sea Salt
For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup fat free greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 TBSP taco seasoning
- The juice of one lime
- 2 TBSP fresh cilantro, chopped
For the Salad
- 1 Pound of either ground chicken, ground turkey, ground beef or ground pork
- 1 small onions, diced
- 2-3 TBSP taco seasoning
- 1/2 Cup salsa
- 8-10 Cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- Optional: sliced fresh jalapeno peppers
For the Baked Tortillas:
- Pre-heat the oven to 425.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using kitchen scissors or a knife, cut up each tortilla* into 8 wedges.
- Lightly spray with olive oil spray or lightly brush with EVOO, sprinkle with spice blend and sea salt.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until crispy. (Watch carefully after 5 minutes they can burn quickly). They will crisp up even more as they cool.
- Set aside.
For the Dressing:
For a Chunky dressing: In a mason jar, combine the fat free greek yogurt, the salsa, the taco seasoning, the freshly squeezed lime juice, the chopped cilantro and salt & pepper. Shake up until everything is combined and store in the fridge until ready to use.
For a Creamy dressing: In a small blender or mini food processor, combine the ingredients listed above and blend until smooth. Store in the fridge until ready to use. (You could also use a hand held blender.)
For the Taco Meat:
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add a drizzle of EVOO and the ground meat of your choice.
- Brown the meat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions and cook for another 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the taco seasoning and saute for about a minute to wake up the dried spices.
- Add the salsa, mix everything together and set aside.
For the Salad:
- In a large bowl, add 8-10 cups chopped romaine lettuce.
- Add the chopped peppers, tomatoes, green onions and cilantro.
- Drizzle about 3/4 or your dressing and mix everything together.
- Add the taco meat, mix everything together.
- Divide into bowls, drizzle with remaining dressing, garnish with the baked tortilla chips.
- Optional: Garnish with guacamole, salsa, fat free greek yogurt, slice jalapeno peppers and chopped cilantro.
*As I mentioned in my post, I tried a lot of different tortillas and the ones I recommend are the Brown Rice Food for Life. They are the ones I find bake up the crispiest. I find them in freezer section of the organic department of the grocery store. They thaw quickly so just leave them out a few minutes them chop them up to make your chips.
Keywords: taco, taco salad, healthy taco salad, mexican food