Farro Fall Salad, pretty much my dream Salad. Healthy, Delicious, Vegetarian, Vegan, Satisfying, Beautiful, need any more convincing? Delicata Squash, Kale, Pepitas, Dates with an Orange Maple Vinaigrette. You’re Welcome 🙂
- 1 Cup Farro, dry
- 1 Delicata Squash, washed, seeded and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 4 Cups Kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 Cup Medjool Dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 Cup Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds)
- The zest of one Orange, optional
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Orange Juice, about half a large orange
- 2 TBSP White Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 TBSP EVOO
- 1 TBSP Maple Syrup
- 3 TBSP minced shallots
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prep a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside until ready to use.
- Wash the Delicata Squash. Slice either vertically in the middle or horizontally lengthwise. Remove the seeds, then slice into 1/4″ slices. Drizzle with EVOO, season with Salt & Pepper. Give it a mix so everything is well coated and spread on the baking sheet. Put in the oven for approximately 30 minutes flipping half way through.
- While the Squash is cooking you can cook the Farro. Cook 1 cup dried Farro per the package directions. Set aside to cool. Even if it’s still slightly warm that’s ok.
- Wash & Stem the kale. Chop it up and measure 4 cups. Add the Kale to a large mixing bowl, drizzle lightly with EVOO, season with salt and massage the Kale with your hands for 2-4 minutes (details about this step are in post).
- To the massaged Kale, add the cooled Farro, the pitted chopped dates, and the zest of an orange (optional).
- In a mason jar, add 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, maple syrup, white balsamic, EVOO, minced shallots, salt and pepper. Give it a shake and add to the Farro mixture.
- Mix everything together, give it a taste and adjust seasoning. Add the delicata squash and mix carefully not to break up the squash to much.
- Sprinkle the salad with the Pepitas and serve.
*This Salad is better enjoyed the same day but leftovers will hold up nicely in the fridge for a few days. It might be a little dry, just jazz it up with a little more EVOO and Orange Juice.