Savoury Scone Perfection. Cheddar, Bacon & Chives. Crispy exterior, Fluffy interior! Perfect addition to your next Brunch table!
- 2 1/4 Cups AP Flour
- 1 TBSP Baking Powder
- 1 TBSP White granulated sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Freshly cracked Black Pepper
- 1 Stick Butter, Grated and Frozen
- 1 Cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Cup (Heaping) Crispy Bacon, chopped
- 2 TBSP Chopped Chives
- 3/4 Cup Buttermilk or Heavy Cream
- 1 Egg
- Optional: Heavy Cream for Brushing + Flaky Sea Salt for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Grate 1 stick butter on a box grated, add to a small dish and put in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and black pepper, set aside.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, add the buttermilk and egg. Give everything a whisk and set aside.
- Once the butter is frozen, add to the flour mixture and give everything a mix with either a pastry blender or two forks until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the cheddar, bacon and chives to the flour mixture and give it a quick mix so everything is well coated in the flour.
- Drizzle the buttermilk mixture over the flour mixture and gently fold everything together until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Dump everything onto a lightly floured surface and fold the dough over itself a few times until you achieve an 8inch disk or you can also make a Rectangle if you want Square scones. Scone dough is very delicate, you don’t want to over kneed it, it won’t be as light and fluffy.
- With a sharp knife, slice the sones into 6-8 wedges. Carefully transfer the scones to the baking sheet, brush the tops with either egg wash (egg and water) or cream, sprinkle with Flaky Sea salt and Extra cracked black pepper.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Let them cool a few minutes on the pan then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Serve when still warm with some Honey Thyme Butter (recipe in post) or Regular Butter.
*Best served fresh the same day!! If you do have left overs, re-heat them in the oven a few minutes before serving so the crust becomes crunchy again.
**You can play around with the cheese, a smoked cheddar or gruyere would also be delicious. You could also use some crispy Prosciutto instead of bacon.
Keywords: Scones, Cheddar, Bacon, Savoury Scones