Happy Sunday, Hope you all had a great Weekend!!
Guys… I have a Confession to make… Me and Keto have decided to part ways… I just couldn’t do the no carb thing anymore🤷🏻♀️ I tried, I really did but I couldn’t stick to it long enough to really get into Ketosis so it wasn’t worth it for me. I think you can eat healthy without being so restricted you know?! I also think that we should have a few treats here and there, cause why not?
On that note… Cheddar Bacon Scones are on the menu Today🤤. I love Scones, both Sweet & Savoury. Decided to go with a Savoury today but if you’re into Sweet definitely check out my Lemon Blueberry Scones or Pumpkin Scones with Brown Butter Glaze🤩 SO Good!!!
I also love the Sweet & Savoury Combo, that’s why I slathered these babies with Honey Thyme Butter! That’s right. How bout swapping this Fluffy Biscuit for your regular old English Muffin? Breakfast Sandwich GOALS🙌🏻🙌🏻!!
I didn’t take step by step photos but my other post ‘s have all the deets so you can pop on there if you want to check that out!!
Scones are obviously best enjoyed fresh out of the oven but if you have some left overs the next day just pop them in the oven for a few minutes to crisp up the outside.
If any of you want to try that Honey Thyme Butter🍯, here’s what I did👇🏻. It’s also delicious spread on muffins, fresh bread, waffles, pancakes, go wild🎉
- 1 Stick Salted Butter, Softened to room temperature
- 2 TBSP Honey
- 1 Tsp minced Fresh Thyme
- In a small dish, mix all three ingredients until combined. Best served room temperature and store leftovers in the fridge.
OH, and by the way, you can totally play around with this recipe guys!! Swap the Cheddar for Parm, Swap the Bacon for Prosciutto, the Chives for Basil, Italian Scone of your Dreams!!
Savoury Scone Perfection. Cheddar, Bacon & Chives. Crispy exterior, Fluffy interior! Perfect addition to your next Brunch table!
- 2 1/4 Cups AP Flour
- 1 TBSP Baking Powder
- 1 TBSP White granulated sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Freshly cracked Black Pepper
- 1 Stick Butter, Grated and Frozen
- 1 Cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Cup (Heaping) Crispy Bacon, chopped
- 2 TBSP Chopped Chives
- 3/4 Cup Buttermilk or Heavy Cream
- 1 Egg
- Optional: Heavy Cream for Brushing + Flaky Sea Salt for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Grate 1 stick butter on a box grated, add to a small dish and put in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and black pepper, set aside.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, add the buttermilk and egg. Give everything a whisk and set aside.
- Once the butter is frozen, add to the flour mixture and give everything a mix with either a pastry blender or two forks until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the cheddar, bacon and chives to the flour mixture and give it a quick mix so everything is well coated in the flour.
- Drizzle the buttermilk mixture over the flour mixture and gently fold everything together until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Dump everything onto a lightly floured surface and fold the dough over itself a few times until you achieve an 8inch disk or you can also make a Rectangle if you want Square scones. Scone dough is very delicate, you don’t want to over kneed it, it won’t be as light and fluffy.
- With a sharp knife, slice the sones into 6-8 wedges. Carefully transfer the scones to the baking sheet, brush the tops with either egg wash (egg and water) or cream, sprinkle with Flaky Sea salt and Extra cracked black pepper.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Let them cool a few minutes on the pan then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Serve when still warm with some Honey Thyme Butter (recipe in post) or Regular Butter.
*Best served fresh the same day!! If you do have left overs, re-heat them in the oven a few minutes before serving so the crust becomes crunchy again.
**You can play around with the cheese, a smoked cheddar or gruyere would also be delicious. You could also use some crispy Prosciutto instead of bacon.
Keywords: Scones, Cheddar, Bacon, Savoury Scones