Rich, Meaty and the most Delicious Bolognese Sauce of your dreams!
- 1/2 Cup Diced Pancetta
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 Pound Ground Pork
- 1 Cup Finely Diced White Onion
- 1/2 Cup Finely Diced Celery
- 1/2 Cup Finely Diced Carrots
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 2-3 Tsp Minced Fresh Thyme
- 1/4 Cup Tomato Paste
- 1 28oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/2 Bottle Red Wine, approx.. 2 Cups
- 2 Cups Chicken or Beef Stock
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1/4 – 1/2 Cup Chopped Fresh Basil + Extra for Serving
- A Parmigiano-Reggiano Rind – Optional but Worth It!!
- Parm for Serving
- Salt & Pepper
- Optional : Red Pepper Flakes
- Start off by heating up a Dutch Oven on medium-low heat and add a few turns of the pan of EVOO. Add the diced pancetta and cook for 5 minutes or so until it begins to brown. Add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic and thyme. If the pan seems a little dry, add some more EVOO. Season with salt and pepper and cook on low for 25-30 minutes.
- Add the Ground Beef & Ground Pork, season with salt and pepper and cook for another 25-30 minutes until the meat begins to brown.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for a few minutes. Deglaze the pan with the Red Wine and let it reduce by at least half then add the crushed tomatoes, the chicken stock and the milk. It will look very “liquidy” at this point but it will thicken up. If you have a Parm Rind, add it now.
- Let the sauce simmer uncovered for 1:30-2 hours, stirring occasionally until it has thickened. Remove the Parm Rind, add the chopped fresh basil and give it a taste. Adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Serve with your favourite Pasta or make a killer Lasagna!
* This Sauce Freezes Beautifully.
** If you don’t have Fresh Thyme, Rosemary is a great option. You could also do a mixture of both.