Hii 👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻, Me again, with another #ThirstyThursday!
I wanted to share a few things I’m excited about before we start shaking up some cocktails!
1. It’s Rhubarb Season😍, and I’m obsessed! Rhubarb bread, strawberry rhubarb crisp, rhubarb jam, RHUBARB everythinggg!! And all those recipes are coming to the blog soon!
2. Veggies, all the fresh summer veggies! For the past few years now, I’ve been registered for weekly veggie boxes and they start next week!! I love getting these boxes because every week the fruits and veggies are always changing! Also, what I’m mostly happy with is the fact that they are all organic and local!! I’ll mostly share my weekly baskets and veggie inspired meals on my @thelakehousekitchen Instagram stories but some of them will make their way to the blog, don’t worry!!
3. I’m also alllll about canning! Especially at this time of the year!! Do I have any fellow canners out there🙋🏻??? Are you guys interested in those kind of recipes? Let me know!!!
Ok, back to the drinks😏!!! Who has Bourbon left from making the Minty Bourbon Lemonade?? Well if you don’t… go buy MORE loll! Because we’re making Apricot Bourbon Sours! I had a request for this weeks #ThirstyThursday for Apricot Brandy Sours. Never had those before, or apricot brandy for that matter. But I love me a Whiskey Sour, my friend Ina, Ina Garten got me hooked on those (we’re friends she just doesn’t know me yet🤭hehehe)! So Apricot whiskey sours it was! But then…I got thinking that the sweet apricots would be a perfect match with sweet Bourbon, so the Apricot Bourbon Sour was born,YUM!!
When I was trying to figure out how I could get the most apricot flavour in the cocktail, I thought of either muddling apricots or making an apricot simple syrup! So off I go to the grocery store to get me some fresh apricots and with my luck, no apricots🙄🙄…. So then I thought about making simple syrup with dried apricots but I had a feeling that wouldn’t give enough flavour! So thennn… I got an idea. JAM, apricot jam. Basically, it’s like we muddled fresh fruit and added simple syrup, perfect! You can keep those dried apricots for a cute little garnish though! I’m all about making my own jam, but since we’re going with apricots i went ahead and bought some, and it’s quite tasty actually! It is packed with apricot flavour, just what I wanted!
So simple enough, you’ll need 4 ingredients (plus a few TBSP of water):
- Apricot Jam
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Egg White (the freshest you can get)
The egg white is what gives the cocktail the frothy top, but you can totally omit it if the raw egg freaks you out! (In those veggie baskets I get every week I also get fresh eggs, so I’m totally ok with using the raw egg) It absolutely doesn’t change the taste of the cocktail itself, just adds a nice texture.
In a cocktail shaker, add 2 TBSP of Apricot Jam then add 2 TBSP warm water to loosen up the jam a little. To that, add 2 ounces bourbon and 1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice and the egg white if your adding it! Give it a little shake. Add a handful of ice to the shaker and shake, shake, shakeeee! To really make it frothy!! I like serving this in a coupe style glass, it makes enough to perfectly fill it to the top but you could also serve this in an old fashion glass over ice. If you want to make 2, 3, 4 cocktails. Just double, triple, quadruple the recipe 😊 (1 egg white per 2 cocktails is perfectly fine)
So, if you’re not a whiskey or bourbon lover, well this might not be your thing but give it try, it might become one of your favourites too. And Jam in cocktails🤯🤯!!! We’ll have to try this again, I’m thinking strawberry rhubarb jam margarita🍓?
Also, this would be perfect for Father’s Day this weekend for all the Bourbon loving Dads!!
Cheers everyone, enjoy!!!
Apricot Bourbon Sours.. YASS!! Sweet apricots + sweet Bourbon + tart lemon = Perfection!!! Instead of simple syrup, we’re using apricot jam for both sweetness and flavour! This is the perfect cocktail to unwind after a longgg day! Cheers!
- 2 Ounces Bourbon*
- 1 Ounce Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 2 TBSP Apricot Jam
- 2 TBSP Warm Water
- Optional: 1 Raw Egg White (the freshest you can get)*
- In a cocktail shaker, add 2 TBSP apricot jam and 2 TBSP warm water, mix to combine. Add 2 Ounces Bourbon, 1 Ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice (and the egg white if your adding it).
- Give it a little shake then add a handful of ice to the shaker. Shake, shake, SHAKE! That what gives it a nice frothiness.
- Serve in a coupe style glass as is or in an old fashion glass over ice.
*You could totally swap the Bourbon for Whiskey if you don’t have any!
**The egg white is totally optional. It does not add flavour at all to the cocktail just adds texture. If you do decide to use it, use the freshest eggs possible as you will be consuming it raw. Also, if you’re doubling the recipe, i add 1 egg white per two cocktails.